Law Ting Ping Secondary School: The first day of school



The first day of school was a very exciting day, but unfortunately, it rained quite a lot and the weather was very cold compared to Hong Kong, as most people say that it’s a typical Scottish weather! Although it was a windy and rainy day, I had enough clothing to keep myself warm enough for the day and my host sister and I still managed to get out of home and arrive at school on time, as punctuality is very important. 

In the morning, I was very eager to go to school and meet new friends and teachers as it was my first time attending classes at a school in another country. When I first saw and went into James Gillespie’s High School, staggered that the school was insanely big and spacious, and there were many more students compared to Law Ting Pong Secondary School. And when I first stepped into the classroom, students and teachers were very welcoming and would proactively talk to me, ask me things about Hong Kong or simply just wave at me, I was very honored. During class, the teachers were very concerned if I understood what they’re talking about and teach me when I don’t understand something. Most of the students in class were very enthusiastic, ambitious, interrogative and attentive in class, and also they would introduce and talk a lot about the school and Scotland to me, which was very astounding. However, I realised that some of the students were not as self-disciplined as the rest of the students, which they would tend to play on their mobile phone during class and sometimes would even swear in front of the class. 

During lunchtime, as both me and my friends from Hong Kong are separated into different classes, we gathered together to spend our lunch time together and talk about our first day experience in classes, and also with the students and teachers. When I first stepped into the canteen in the school, I realised that it was very small and crowded, and I was appalled that even our school’s canteen is bigger than James Gillespie’s High School’s canteen! We spent a bit of the time queuing up to buy lunch, but we had a great talk and fun afterwards. 

Overall, my first impression towards James Gillespie’s High School is that it’s an extraordinary school with loads of great opportunities for the students. For the next day, I think that I could be more proactive and be the first one to step in to talk to new people and receive more knowledge in lessons. I am very blessed and grateful that I can have this spectacular opportunity of attending school in a different country, with a totally different culture and I can’t wait to make more magnificent and splendid memories in the coming few days in this breathtaking and beautiful city, Edinburgh. 

S3 Crystal Wong

Law Ting Pong Secondary School

Host school: James Gillespie's High School, Scotland

Comments